INT. HORSE BARN - DAY
Kids racking saddles in the tack area and the others overseeing the feeding of hay to the horses in their stalls. Grooming and hay storage areas, mechanical bull in a corner. Hunter, Tom, Chloe, Jackie, Sess and Claire tightly circled in conversation, framed by the doorway view to corral and woods.
SESS: Straight home?
JACKIE: No. Tamales in Tulie and the sands for sunset.
SESS: Take and send a picture.
JACKIE: Will do. Speaking of which, I'm going to post in my blog about today so I'm officially soliciting photographs for inclusion. Send to Jackie for forwarding.
CLAIRE: Speaking of which sort of, Hunter, I wonder if you would be in a selfie take and send to myb dad, whose a huge fan of yours.
HUNTER: Really?
CLAIRE: He would absolutely flip, but I understand if you'd rather not.
HUNTER: Claire, I'm touched. Absolutely of course we can do that.
He moves close to Claire, Claire gets her phone, Sess gets hers and aims the camera at Claire taking the selfie with Hunter, both smiling.
CLAIRE: Thank you so much.
HUNTER: I'm very happy to, and thank you, and you, Sess for a wonderful and unforgettable - for me, anyway - day.
He hugs Sess and Claire.
CLAIRE: I wish I could see his face when he sees it.
SESS: Oh boy. I can see his jaw drop.
A pause.
JACKIE: Well, down the hill.
SESS: See you at the airport?
JACKIE: Yep.
SESS: Coffee for the road?
Jackie looks to Hunter.
HUNTER: Yes. Any chance of making it iced?
SESS: That I can do.
JACKIE: Make that two.
SESS: Order coming up.
Sess leads to the door, two steps before:
CHLOE: Sess and Claire, might there be a rope around that tie-down rider could turn into a lasso.
Hunter looks at Tom, who looks at him. Claire walks to the tack area.
SESS: Yes, we do. Might there be a tie-down rider who could do that?
Chloe's eyes lead all others to Tom.
CHLOE: Tom, might there be?
Claire gets the coiled rope from its hook, walks to Tom.
TOM: Well. Been awhile but I reckon it might come back if I could run handle that rope for a minute while my hands try to remember.
Claire hands Tom the rope.
TOM (CONT.) Thank you, Claire.
CLAIRE: Thank you, Tom.
Tom takes rope in hands, all others get their phones, aim cameras at Tom working the rope as if for feel. The kids notice, stop what they're doing, approach the action, aim their phone cameras.
TOM: So, I have a feelin' a few of y'all already know that the knot I'm gonna use to make my rope, also referred to, like Chloe said, as a lasso or lariat, is what's called a honda knot, which at least a couple of ya already know. If ya know why it's called that let me know 'cause i never heard a reason that ever convinced me. I do know that lasso, by the way, and which ya also already know, can be a verb. To lasso, to state the obvious. So I'm just gonna do this without sayin' how I'm doin' it, then y'all can look at it slow-motion later and see the step-by-step.
Tom suddenly and quickly fashions a lariat.
TOM (CONT.) And there's your loop.
CHORUS OF APPROVAL from the group. Tom widens the loop enough to lay on Chloe's shoulders.
CHLOE: Thank you very much, Tom.
TOM: My pleasure, Chloe.
CHLOE: Here's where I ask too much.
She lifts lasso off shoulders, hands to Tom, points to the mechanical bull, pulling all eyes to it, and phone cameras when Tom, after winking at Chloe, walks the lariat toward the bull. He widens the lariat, raises it up above his head, swings it like a cowboy. The group follows him to within a dozenish feet of the bull, Tom swings the loop, lets it fly, lassos the bull by the horns.
LOUD CHORUS OF APPROVAL AND APPLAUSE as Tom walk to the bulL gets the lariat, walks it to Claire, who points to Chloe. Tom places the lasso on her shoulders, winks. Chloe winks. Hunter and Jackie exchange pleased expressions.
[CUT TO CLAIRE'S DAD reading Foglost gets Claire/Hunter selfie.]
No comments:
Post a Comment